Tuesday 16 March 2021

Totally Free Items

 We had some really heavy showers yesterday. I had intended to plant some seeds but decided instead as the garden waste was being collected today to fill the bin as much as possible with the last remnants of winter waste around the garden. I spent the afternoon dashing in and out to avoid these heavy showers but when I spoke to my Dad on the phone in the evening, even though he is only seven miles away he hadn't had a single shower.

While I was inside I got on with a task I  thought was going to be really difficult but wasn't.  When we moved into this house Tom brought home a really lovely brass and onyx standard lamp that someone had put out for the dustmen. I really liked it but it was very wobbly and every time a dog walked by it leaned precariously. The nut which held the stem in place had rusted on so solidly under the base we couldn't tighten it. I couldn't bear to throw it out so we put it in the loft.

I noticed it when I was up in the loft the other week. Strangely Tom had noticed it but not mentioned it either and when he was walking home from work at 1am the other night he noticed a large lampshade on top of the bins to be collected by the dustmen and thought it may do for the lamp. We got it out of the loft and yesterday I set too with rust remover which I bought on Amazon and pliers. It was fiddly work but in the end I managed to fix it and it is completely solid now. It has only taken me 16 years!


As a family we can't resist bringing home free items and reusing them. Eldest son knows how much I love original art and he has often bought round a painting he has found in a skip. One day I may be on Antiques Road Show telling them my £50.000 painting came out of a skip!

The weather forecast is not very good today and I am going to my Dad's to do his shopping. He has been busy this week planting roses he bought from his David Austin catalogue so I hope the weather is nice enough to be out in the garden admiring them. I hope everyone has a lovely day and you manage to see a little bit of spring weather. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...