Monday 15 March 2021

I Do Like To Be Beside The Seaside

 I had such a nice day yesterday. Tom was working but I spent it with youngest son and daughter who I am so grateful to be living with in this lockdown and I had a really lazy day which is unusual for me but made a nice change. In the morning I chatted with eldest daughter on the phone who was spending her day with her partner and Scarlett. I remember a few years ago we all went out for lunch together. How we took those things for granted!

In the afternoon eldest son phoned and we chatted on the phone for an hour while he told me all his plans for his new house on the south coast. He has moved to a three storey Victorian house near Hastings with a sea view and it is beautiful! It has needed an enormous amount of work as it was in the kind of state that would make most people run a mile but he is gradually working through it all. We are just so sad we haven't been able to visit him as often as we wanted to because of the pandemic. I just love it there, I don't know what it is about the sea that makes me feel so at home.

Sometimes I wonder whether memories can be passed on in our DNA. It would really explain how sometimes you can visit a place and instantly feel comfortable or uncomfortable. My Dad joined the Merchant Navy at 14 and I have had a lifetime of tales about  life at sea. It was only when I started looking into my family tree I found out that on my Dad's side my 4x Great Grandfather was a naval captain living in South Africa and my 3x Great Grandfather was a sailor aboard HMS Vanguard in the 1840s. This print is of the Vanguard in 1837. 


I have a real feeling that the sea is "in my blood". I only have to hear the sound of seagulls and I'm off telling everyone how much I love the sea. Eldest son laughs at me and says "It's because your old!". I think it's more than that as I have always been like it. This is the view from his bedroom window on the top floor. I took it last summer in that brief time of some freedom when we could travel and visit. It's only a glimpse of the sea but the sound of seagulls are all around. I can't wait to visit him again. I wonder if anyone else has that feeling of being at home in certain places.


 It seems quite a nice today and I'm hoping to plant some of the seeds I ordered which have arrived. I've also got a few painting jobs in the house I hope to do in the coming weeks as I can leave the windows open a bit more, so searching through the shed to see what paint we have is definitely on my list of things to do today. I hope everyone has a lovely day what ever your plans. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...