Saturday 13 March 2021

Special Roses

 We had quite a busy day yesterday. The car was loaded with all the rubbish from the old duck run and we took it to the dump. With this new appointment system, we were in and out in no time then off to Lidl. We haven't been for months and although it was not too busy which was nice I was a bit disappointed. I had hoped to buy some compost and a couple of plants but although I bought a few bags of compost there were no plants at all. At this time of the year normally there would have been plants, fruit bushes and even fruit trees but today nothing. At least it was quite nice to get out and about!

My Dad had so kindly given me some money for Mother's Day to buy a rose to plant to remember my Mum with. I had been looking online at a company I had bought from before which sells really good quality roses and knew the one I wanted. It is called "Sheila's Perfume" my Mum's name. I can't wait for it to flower. It will always be very special to me. 

While I was looking on the website I noticed another rose I couldn't resist buying too as it would save so much on postage costs to buy at the same time. It was a half standard rose called "Special Friend". A year ago a neighbour and friend of mine died. Nothing coronavirus related but even though she had not been in the best of health it was a shock as she was only in her early 70s. She and her husband have been such friends to us over the years. Dog lovers like we are and such bright fun people, real individuals. Her husband is a jazz pianist and when he was away working she would phone for a chat and we would pop round for visits. The summer before she died she came round one day to tell me she had some garden planters being delivered and would we look out for them in case she was out. She was so excited telling me the plants she would be putting in them. 

Last summer the empty planters in their front garden with dried up shrivelled plants in them made me feel so sad every time I walked past. Then one day, during the winter, her husband stopped me and asked if I would like the planters as he didn't have the heart to look after them. They are ever so big and will need lots of plants to fill them and I have been trying to decide which ones as somehow I feel they must be really special. I have planted "Sheila's Perfume" in one and "Special Friend" in another. They are bare root roses so aren't doing much at the moment but are a really good start to making them look wonderful. For so many reasons I am really pleased with these roses.

I spent the rest of the afternoon tidying up the greenhouse. I have bought some seeds on special offer and when they arrive I want to be ready to plant them. It's all starting to look very spring like.


Tom had his coronavirus vaccine yesterday afternoon. He had the Astrazeneca vaccine the same as me, and he has not had any side effects yet which is good news. The lovely young Welsh man on BBC breakfast who wear bright brooches on his suit (I love brooches!) says the east of the country will have sunny spells today. Tom is off and we have dog walks and fixing the wooden garden arch planned. The arch is for our wisteria which is growing furiously but even though it has been doing well for 16 years it only flowered  once. I wish I knew what was wrong or more importantly how to put it right! I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday and manages to avoid this blustery weather. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...