Thursday 18 March 2021

Battling With Ivy

 We got all the heavy work  done in the garden yesterday. The worst was starting to clear the ivy off the fence. It grows over from next door and a couple of years ago I got so sick of clearing it I decided to let it grow but that was a mistake as it is taking over the whole garden. It has killed my jasmine and lots of the valerian and keeps trying to make the leap across to the path to the house. I dread I may go into youngest son's bedroom and find it has covered him in his sleep! They only emptied our garden waste bin the day before yesterday and it is full again with only two panels cleared. I can see it lurking on the top still, waiting to come over again from next door if I drop my guard! We've got several more panels to go.


I planted one of my favourite little crab apple trees in another of the big blue pots given to us by my lovely jazz pianist neighbour. I spent ages trying to get it in the right place. It is so incredibly heavy, in the end Tom said "Wherever I put it next it is staying forever!" I can't help but think when I look out of the kitchen window it is a bit too far over. Oh dear! 

I'm not going to buy any little plants yet for around the base but will divide some Oxalis clumps around the garden and at this time of year I hope they will grow quite quickly. I love Oxalis although I know some people refer to it as a weed! I love their little pink flowers and the way they close at night. They need to be in a sunny spot as in the shade they do close up but this area of the terrace gets quite a lot of sunshine so should do well. It adds to the natural look I try to get in our garden here is some from a  few summers ago.


Scarlett has just arrived and we have a usual busy day ahead of us. The weather forecast isn't very good but we will still try to get out and about a bit. I hope everyone has a lovely day what ever your plans. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...