Sunday 14 March 2021

Edwardian Gardens And A Much Loved Dog

 It was quite bright yesterday morning and Tom went to B&Q to buy some bricks to start paving over two of the flower beds outside our kitchen and living room windows. Because of the weight of them he only is going to buy 30 at a time for fear of damaging the car suspension! We have tried so many different ways of stopping the dogs running on those flower beds when they are let out of the back door but Layla just can't contain her excitement. She tries to be good for days and then one day she just loses control of herself and that's it, a newly planted flower is ruined! We have decided just to brick them over and put pots on them. I want it to look a bit rustic, not too neat. I have been reading a lot about Edwardian garden design as our house is Edwardian being built in 1908. It has given me lots of ideas. The planted standard rose is first in place on the newly laid bricks. I feel as if I am starting with a blank canvas in this part of the garden now we have cleared out the remaining sickly looking plants, which is a lot of fun.


By the time this was all finished really heavy rain and hail stones arrived so we didn't get round to fixing the wisteria arch. I had asked my Dad on the phone about the problem with the wisteria not flowering and he suggested I just give it a really good feeding with a rose fertiliser or such like which I am going to do. I would love for it to flower this year.

I have opened my present from my family this morning for Mother's Day and I can't begin to say how pleased I am. They have been co ordinating this present and organising it for weeks. It is a framed drawing of my much loved Border Collie Bud who died the year before last. They said as I always joked he was my fifth child (and the only obedient one!) it would be fitting to give it to me today. It has taken pride of place on my dresser and I almost feel he is in the room with me again. 


I hope everyone who is celebrating Mother's Day has a lovely day today and if it makes you feel a bit sad for any reason, and I know no matter how much I will enjoy the day there will always be that feeling now without my Mum,  I hope so much you can think of happy times to help you. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...