Friday 12 March 2021

Changing Cars And Phones

 Scarlett loved the new dolls house furniture and by far her favourite item was the tiny little telephone on a telephone table. She couldn't get over the little dial on it and it led to a lot of discussion about what telephones used to be like.

 It did make me think how technology is changing. It doesn't seem five minutes since the days when if a friend wanted to talk to you they had to call you on a house phone like this. How many of us had to sit in a cold hall on a hall seat just like this having a chat to a school friend? Telephone calls were so expensive in those days too, so the conversations were never long, it would be a quick chat to arrange where we were going to meet and then finished. In those days though we would then be out on our bikes meeting in the park, or just sitting on a wall chatting. We may not have had technology but we had so much more freedom.

Tom was off yesterday and I did have to laugh he was so cross with himself for losing Layla's toy the day before in the park. He walked round there on his own and climbed the tree to rescue the toy stuck in the branches! Layla is so happy to have her new toy returned and Tom didn't fall and break a bone which was what I was worried about. He came with us on our walk around and about on the way to the bakers too and Scarlett proudly showed him all the things we comment about when we are out walking. I had to pre warn him to look suitably delighted or horrified at the right moments (Pretty flowers or graffiti!) . 

A couple of things kept us talking for a while though while we were out and they were the same but very different. I mentioned some weeks ago about a house near us that had been empty for nearly 40 years! If you want to see photos of the house you can see them here The History Of A House I mentioned that there was an old Morris Minor behind the gates. Someone has dragged the poor old car out into the front garden and now it is sitting there looking so sad.




I really wish I was able to restore something like this. I love restoring items back to their former glory but my limit is old toys! I hope so much that this poor car isn't just scrapped but some clever person rescues it. When we had walked up the hill to the baker's shop there was another car parked at the top that caught Tom's eye much more.


It is part of an advertising campaign for a newly extended restaurant who I suppose are planning ahead for when lockdown ends and Tom loved it. He spent ages looking through the windows and admiring it. It says something about me though that if I had the choice of the two, and the Morris Minor was restored, I would choose the Morris Minor! When elder daughter picked Scarlett up yesterday evening she dropped off my Mother's Day present as sadly, because of the current rules, she won't be able to come round on Sunday. It is a wrapped up present from all four of my children who have got together to get something for me they say they know I will like. How exciting and how clever they have been to coordinate a surprise during this lockdown!
 Tom is off again today and we have a busy day ahead. He has a spot booked at the dump to take the old duck run panels and then we are going to go shopping to Lidl which we haven't been to for months! I will go with him to the dump so we can go straight on to Lidl and it almost feels exciting going so far afield. Things are bad when I'm looking forward to an outing to the local refuse tip! Later on this afternoon he is having his first coronavirus vaccination at Epsom Downs Racecourse which feels like such a positive step forward. I hope everyone has a wonderful day what ever you are doing. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...