Tuesday 2 February 2021

Collecting And Recycling Vintage Fabrics

There are other items in my clearing out I will not part with and that's my large pile of vintage fabrics. I  love old bright retro fabrics or just fabrics that are evocative of an era. I have saved bits I buy cheaply at jumble sales for projects I will get round to in the future. I have my old toy chest that my toys were stored in when I was a child. It has been in the loft for years after my children have grown up, but a while ago we got it out to keep it in our bedroom for extra storage. I am going to make a large cushion for the top covered in some 1960s fabric in keeping with the era of the chest.

I had been searching to find just the right piece of fabric and have found the perfect piece on ebay.  When I was very little, about three or four, I used to share a bedroom with my sister. We had curtains that I loved, of animals and insects dressed up in clothes. I would study every one of them as I looked out of my little bed by the window. I couldn't believe it when I found it, apparently it was made by Sanderson and called Hippity Hoppity. All these years later and it is still firmly implanted in my memory. I'm looking forward so much to making it. 

Sanderson Hippity Hoppity Fabric

The Ladybird

Another retro fabric item which seems to have disappeared but was such a good idea were calendar tea towels. We would buy my Mum one every Christmas and it would hang on the kitchen wall until next Christmas when it would be taken down and replaced then used as a tea towel. What perfect recycling. Why on earth did they disappear!

At a car boot sale a few years ago I found this one, the year I was born. Perfect, as coincidentally the days of the week fell exactly the same in 2016, the year I bought it, as in 1960. I kept it up all year and thought I would put it away for the next time the calendar repeated itself. I checked online to see when that will be and as it was a leap year it is not going to happen again until 2044 then after that 2072. Oh well I suppose it gives me something to aim for!


Tom and I watched the film "The Dig" on Netflix last night. It was quite good but rather sad and left me feeling down in the dumps when I was going to bed. Back to Minder tonight I think! I'm off to do my Dad's shopping today so it will be quite nice to be out and about. I hope everyone has a lovely day whether you are able to get out or not. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...