Saturday 20 February 2021

All This Extra Plastic

 I try so hard not to put too much plastic into my rubbish. I don't buy items with lots of plastic wrapping and if I do buy food in plastic trays I try to reuse them in my greenhouse for growing seeds. We don't buy drinks in plastic bottles anyway and since we have had our milk delivered from the milkman for the last few years that has cut down a lot. Carrying a little shopping bag in my handbag so I am always prepared had become part of my going out checklist. However since the start of the coronavirus pandemic and the restrictions that followed other items have been added to my checklist. Face mask and hand sanitiser. I use a cloth pretty flowery face mask so it is reusable (I even have one in Snoopy fabric!) but when ever I have had a hospital check up they won't let me wear these I have to be handed a surgical one. These single use surgical ones go straight in the rubbish and horrifyingly I see them everywhere when I am out walking just discarded at the side of the road. Tom says they are all over the bus by the end his route. 

The thing that has really bothered me though is all the little hand sanitizer bottles. All of my family are out and about a lot and I make sure they always have those little hand sanitisers with them but when the bottles are empty I'm not quite sure what to do. I looked online to see if I could buy a big bottle to refill them with but I thought it's only putting off the problem, I still have a big bottle to find a use for when it is finished. Then I remembered a shop near my Dad's house where you can refill bottles of household cleaners and the like  I had used it a few times and really liked it and then along came coronavirus and there seemed so much else to worry about I didn't go back. So yesterday after doing Dad's shopping I popped in to have a look round again.


It has some really good items. I have used the general purpose cleaner before and liked it very much so will definitely take an empty bottle in when my present kitchen cleaner is finished. I was very pleased to see they have hand sanitiser too so next week I'll take the empty little bottles of hand sanitiser with me and refill them. It is not the cheapest option though so I think I will be replacing a few items that I feel causes us to use the most plastic and see how that goes. They sell lots of locally made food products but again it's not a cheap option so it may be a case of replacing the items that I feel would have the most impact on food miles. I'm going to do a bit of research. 

The much promised glorious spring weekend seems to have disappeared from the weather forecast without even an apology form the forecasters! I think they are hoping we may have forgotten what they said a week ago. It's still quite pleasant here though so I should be able to get a few outside jobs done this morning. I'm off to get my coronavirus vaccination this afternoon. How exciting it feels! I hope everyone has a lovely day and you get to see a bit of sunshine. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...