Sunday 18 April 2021

A New Start For The Doves

 "Never destroy someone's character." That's what my Mum used to say and she said her Mum used to say it to her.  She would never talk badly about someone to other people and that is how my sister and I were brought up. If ever there was a character destroyed by the press it was Prince Philip. We have all had a constant stream of stories over the years of his gaffs, his blunders, his rudeness. The same press who are now sharing the constant stories of his kindness, his compassion and his life time of good work. What a shame they didn't share it when he was alive. The funeral was simple and moving and the sight of the Queen all alone was heartbreaking. The military were all faultless. the sun shone and I found it very sad. 

My day yesterday went really well. I spent the morning spring cleaning the aviary. I started off just giving it a sweep round then I thought I may as well do it all completely. I swept and cleaned every corner. It took me hours. We had put a pile of large stones in the corner that I had dug up in the garden. Several years ago we used to breed Chinese Painted Quail and they used to love sitting on these rocks in the sun. Sadly they have now all died so I have taken all the rocks out as they just are a corner for collecting mess now. I'm going to clean them up and extend my new rockery. When the aviary was all cleaned we put out Dotty and our new dove called Del. I make it sound easy, it wasn't! It took youngest daughter and I ages. Transferring birds around from cage to cage and then to the aviary is really difficult when you are trying not to stress them, but in the end it was all done and they were out enjoying the sunshine. There is a nice warm inside part with a heat lamp so it shouldn't be too much of a shock but I hardly slept last night worrying about them.


I planted some more seeds in the greenhouse. Tomatoes and cucumbers, I hope they do well but I'm a bit of a chuck it in and hope for the best sort of gardener. If it doesn't work out never mind, move on to something else. I will just have to see how they go. When Tom got in at 10pm he said everyone out and about observed the minutes silence for Prince Philip at 3pm. Luckily he was at the turn around stand so could easily too. We watched the news special of the funeral as Tom hadn't seen any of it and I felt sad all over again. With all that seemed to be going on during the day I didn't get round to finishing the caravan step. That  is a job for today. 

First thing this morning I went up to the aviary to check them and Dottie and Del were flying up and down cooing away! They have seemed to set off every collared dove in the neighbourhood who were all answering them. Oh dear, that won't go down well with the neighbours! Dottie has come such a long way from that little bloodied, injured bird Tom found lying at the side of the road last November. I'm very pleased. The sun is shining again this morning so onwards and upwards. I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday what ever you are doing. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...