Friday 22 January 2021

I Talk To The Trees....

 Or so my Mum and Dad would sing to me from the old 1950s song when I was a little girl so I think I may always have done it! I'm not sure if it works but I'm trying everything in an attempt to nurture and encourage all my little tree seedlings. Last autumn Scarlett and I went all around local parks with our pocket book of trees, little freezer bags and labels to collect seeds from different types of trees. It was so much fun and Scarlett entered into the spirit of it completely. 

I love trees and already have lots of little saplings in pots. I have collected conkers, acorns, silver birch seeds, berries from hawthorn trees, rowan trees and elder trees. I already have little holly trees, cherry trees, fir trees, horse chestnut trees, oak trees and unidentified trees! I have gone tree crazy! Our garden in the summer is starting to resemble a forest in pots and I couldn't be happier. I'm not sure quite what I am going to do with all these trees yet but I am getting so much enjoyment growing them. 

Last year during the first lockdown I bought a little greenhouse and had mixed successes with my growing. I think a lot of the problem is our garden is very shady. So many trees in pots! However I nearly always have success with my tree growing. We planted our seeds and berries in four different ways. Some in pots in the garden, some in pots in the greenhouse and some in the little fridge in the greenhouse to "stratify". (I love that word!) and some in a little heated propagator. I must have success with a few of them.


Scarlett came yesterday and she was thrilled to see our first successes. I don't think she can believe seeds she had such fun collecting and planting are now starting to grow in the little heated propagator. Along with the trees I added some azalea and hibiscus seeds I collected in my Dad's garden last October. The problem is I'm not sure what is coming up. I thought I would remember exactly what seeds I planted but I think lockdown must have affected my memory!


 I have no idea what is in there so for now I'll just keep talking away to them and coming from a background where there was constant singing and music I can never miss the opportunity of bursting into full song. I think I'll sing along with this one today! I'll keep you informed how they progress. Have a lovely day everyone what ever you are doing. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...