Tuesday 1 October 2019

A-Foraging We Will Go

It was a much brighter start yesterday morning so after breakfast Scarlett and I set off for the morning before the promised rain arrived in the afternoon. I had a couple of bags of old clothes to take to the recycling bank and a bit of shopping to do but once that was out of the way we went to a local park for the real mission of the morning. Scarlett just loves collecting things when she is out and about. Twigs, feathers, leaves, pretty stones, they are all brought proudly home to display. This autumn however has bought a new obsession in her little two and a half year old life. Conkers! My eldest daughter has bought her a little basket they call her "foraging basket" and she couldn't be more excited. Scarlett's latest obsession has coincided with my interest in learning about foraging for food, so it was with mutual excitement we started our search.
  I have been reading about making washing liquid for laundry from conkers so thought it would be a perfect time to collect enough to try. It was a really enjoyable way to spend our morning.


  I told Scarlett we must leave enough for other people and for the squirrels to have some food this winter. Coincidentally only this week there has been reports that the Horse Chestnut Tree is under threat and may even become extinct in the future following declines caused by the leaf-minor moth so next time she comes we will plant a few in pots to grow some trees. I already have two lovely horse chestnut trees in pots that I grew a few years ago, one of which that is now taller than me, but no harm in planting a few more.
  Scarlett took some home with her and the rest I have sitting in the dining room waiting for me to make the liquid detergent with later in the week. I will share how well the experiment in my new foraging lifestyle goes. 
Happy 1st of October everyone. I hope your day and the month ahead is a happy one. xx
  

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...