Wednesday 23 October 2019

A Changing Street

  It was a lovely bright day yesterday even though I seemed to spend most of it running around. While we were over visiting my Dad my sister and I went to do some shopping for him as he hasn't been out yet since coming out of hospital. A few years ago a Marks and Spencer's was built in Ashtead which has been very useful for my Dad as they have a big selection of ready meals which are perfect for him.
  It has seemed strange spending so much time around the shops in the last week in the street that was my little area as a child. My sister and I would cycle up to the shops when we were very young and pop into the sweet shop or the newsagent to buy a comic. There was a little shop at the top of The Street called Nova that sold stationary and toys. We would go in to spend our pocket money and I can still remember the smell to this day. It felt so safe, there were no real restrictions for us as children or that is how it seemed.


Ashtead Street 1960s

   Marks and Spencer stands now where the petrol station is on the right but the biggest change is the traffic, it is so much busier along this road now and in the rush hour big lorry's are queueing to get onto the M25 just down the road. It certainly wouldn't be safe for young chilldren to cycle on now. I remember we protested and protested about the M25 in the 1970s but it made no difference. It was still built right across our school playing fields. Every time we drive onto the motorway I look down at the traffic and picture us lying on the hockey pitches on a sunny day listening to our little transistor radios. That's progress I suppose.
  I took this video just after Marks and Spencer opened as I wanted a record of how it had all changed. Maybe one day people will look at this and say wasn't it quiet.


My Dad was in fairly good spirits yesterday as the physiotherapist is coming today to assess how steady he is to get out and about again. Although he is concernend how forgetful he is after the stroke, there was a funny moment when we were all trying to remember something that happened and he said "Who's had the stroke here?" Oh dear, I am really going to have to work on some strategies to help my memory as I get older. 
  I have a day at home today so lots to catch up with. I hope everyone has a lovely day what ever you are doing. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...