Wednesday 4 April 2018

Who Remembers 1961?

   A few weeks ago I bought a pile of old negatives and some old cine films from our local charity saleroom. I often buy old negatives at car boot sales as they are very cheap and I have a light box to copy them and a programme to publish them as photographs again. I can't tell you what an exciting moment it is when a picture, that has been forgotten for years, jumps into life again and I have made some fantastic finds this way. I have two websites one about the First World War and one social history site where I store all the photos I find for people to view. I always try to reunite these photos with family members. I had often thought about adding videos made from old cine films and decided with these very cheap films it was worth a try. I sent the film with March-May 1961 written on it to a company who transfers the film onto DVD, they only charges £7.99 for any length of film which seemed very reasonable. It was worth every penny.
   I spent the afternoon watching the old films. It was so evocative of when I was a young child I couldn't believe it. It brought back memories so clearly of my sister and I playing when we were young and I remembered images that were somewhere in the back of my mind but forgotten. I'm gradually editing all the films and adding them to my website. Every little scene on their tricycles and scooters and running along with Grandma and Grandad will be saved. There are old cars, buses and even film taken hanging out of trains as they travel along. When it is all completed I will add a link so anyone who loves a little bit of social history can enjoy them too. The saddest feeling for me is that they have ended up out of the family and just lying in a box in a charity shop. I would be so happy if I could reunite them with family. Here is a short clip of the children with their grandparents at the fair. I hope anyone else who feels nostalgic about the 1960s enjoys it.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...