Friday 4 March 2016

I Love The 1970s!


    That's it, Tom and I have finally given in and we spend late evenings watching old Tops of The Pops from the 1970s. We sing along, reminisce and wallow in nostalgia. We are so perfectly matched! Our family despair of us. Our younger son glancing at the telly the other evening commented "What is this rubbish!" as Elton John and Kiki Dee cavorted on screen in, what I thought at the time was a really cool pair of dungarees, singing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". "No" I exclaimed "This was 1976, the year I left school, the hottest summer on record, long days out with friends and evenings in the pub (in days before ID was heard of). What more could we have asked for," "How about a decent No 1" replied youngest son leaving the room!




     I know I'm not alone. My eldest daughter's, best freind's Mum has a whole 1970's themed room in her house with a bar and juke box filled with 70s hit records. She has friends round and they dress in 70s clothes and drink (far too much) reliving their youth. I know this seems rather extreme but I quite envy them.  Even though my four children laugh at us I can see it creeping in with them. When they are all round at our house they sit and laugh about TV programmes, music and clothes from the 1990s. They tell me they have even joined facebook groups called I was a child of the 90s.
    My Mum who is 90 loves to tell us how she used to sing "When April Sings" by Deanna Durbin as she cycled through fields as a teenager. She said she would sing it at the top of her voice as there was no one around, I found it for her on You Tube and we all sang it again for days. It brought her so much pleasure.

 

     I suppose every generation thinks theirs was the best. For Tom and I it was the 1970s and 1980s but everyone seems to love the decades from their youth. So whether you are 90 or 20 there is a era and songs for you. I just hope everyone enjoys singing along as much as we do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...