Thursday 18 February 2016

The Trouble With Foxes


Last Christmas Bud our Border Collie was given a toy pig as a Christmas present. It has long dangly legs and he loves to carry it about all over the place with him. Every time I put on my coat he looks for his toy pig and stands by the door waiting. (There is a point to this tale!)
At lunch time today I decided I would have cheese on toast. I put it under the grill and stood looking out of the window whilst it cooked. Walking down the garden path towards the house,  was one of the foxes who sit most of the day on the garden shed. It was the big dog fox and it walked by the chicken run and then the duck runs without a glance in either direction but carried on towards the terrace in front of the kitchen window. As it got to the terrace it looked me right in the eye then bent down and picked up Bud’s toy pig that was lying on the terrace. “Bud it’s got your toy” I shouted. Bud knows exactly what that word means and we both set off out of the back door in pursuit. Luckily as the fox ran to the fence he dropped the toy as he jumped over it. What a close thing we would have to go back to the garden centre and buy another toy pig if it had gone! Bud carried it back into the house, looking very pleased with himself. As I walked through the door a strong smell of burning greeted me. My lovely cheese on toast was burnt to a cinder. Oh well you can’t win them all.
After lunch I went out to the garden to feed all the birds and the foxes were back in their place on top of next doors shed. I have a live and let live philosophy with our local foxes as there are so many of them. It makes life very hard as we always have to watch our ducks, hens and quail and they live in runs that are barricaded like a fort but I still think they are beautiful creatures. I suppose they just wanted a toy to play with as well.
The Beautiful Vixen



The Dog Fox
The Dog Fox


The Foxes In Their Place On The Shed
The Foxes In Their Place On The Shed


Bud just needs to keep a closer eye on things from now on.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...