Saturday 5 October 2019

The Last Roses Of Summer

  I left again in the rain to meet my sister and go and visit our Dad yesterday. It seems to never stop raining when I am sitting around at railways stations at the moment. There were a couple of jobs we had to get done there yesterday.  One was to climb up and prune the large rose hips on a climbing rose at the front of the house. It is a beautiful old rose and this summer has been a picture of red flowers. Looking at this photo in June it makes me sad to think summer has gone for another year.



    My Dad has an old photo of the house at the turn of the century and you can clearly see the climbing rose in the photo. I love to think of all those years of people enjoying this beautiful rose. There are a few blooms left on it but has mainly now turned into rose hips high up. I manged to save several healthy looking ones and this weekend I am going to try to take out the seeds and hopefully over the winter grow some new rose bushes from them. I have never tried this before but have been carefully reading up on it so fingers crossed it will work.
   The second job was to give Millie, my Dad's rescue cat her flea treatment. Now poor little Millie has had a very bad start in life. A stray for a long time around the yard where my eldest son keeps his vehicles she evaded all forms of capture for months. If he drove back late at night he would see her in his headlamps ripping apart rubbish bags but always ran when he tried to catch her. With obvious deteriorating condition, he set about in a concerted effort to corner her and early this summer he was successful. Filthy and with her eyes stuck together she meekly accepted her fate as he bathed and cleaned her. A trip to the vet showed she had no microcchip and despite days of depressing  internet searches and asking all around the neighbourhood no owner was found. Eldest son decided it was meant to be and this little lost cat was the perfect friend for his lonely Grandad. She was spayed and the vet told him that despite being barely a year old she had already had a litter of kittens. Poor Millie what a start in life.
  She is an adorable little cat and she and my Dad are inseperable. She rules the house and I think cannot believe her luck at the comfort she now lives in. However her early start has made her very wary and when trying to pick her up or carry out any procedure you take your life your hands! A joint effort by my sister and I succeeeded and flea treatment was safely administerred but Millie wouldn't talk to us for the rest of the day.


  Finally in my ongoing conker washing liquid experiment I washed one of the dogs duvets yesterday. They have a couple of nice big duvets we put down on the floor everynight for them and they can get quite smelly so I thought it was worth a try to see how it worked. I couldn't believe, not the slightest smell of dog left on it. I am so impressed I have been out collecting more conkers to add to my next batch. Although I do have to try it on something really quite dirty to see how it works yet, I am definitely going to keep using it on less dirty items. 
  Well I can't believe another weekend is upon us already. I hope everyone has a lovely one what ever you are doing. xx
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...