Sunday 20 October 2019

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time

 That phrase just about sums me up. I'm always keeping little bits of fabric. I can't resist scouring jumble sale tables for pretty or retro fabrics. I have lots of fabrics and lots of ideas but never get started. It's not just lack of time though, I keep putting off the getting going. The other day when I went down to the Co-op I looked across at the little wool and sewing shop we are lucky enough to have in our local parade of shops and went in. All I needed was a new needle for my old sewing machine to get me going and that was it, it was bought. Yesterday afternoon I propped up my tablet and found a wonderful woman on youtube called Lizzie Lennard who has vintage sewing videos. She has a lovely voice that reminds me of a 1950s radio broadcaster. I easily followed her instructions on how to wind a Singer long bobbin and load the shuttle. See how easily the words come to me now! Thank you Lizzie.
  Once it was set up the mechanics of sewing came flooding back and I had a fun afternoon trying out my Victorian sewing machine. I cannot believe how well it works. All these years unused and every part of it still works. I tried it out on an off cut of 1950s style kitchen material and once the edges were hemmed, there it was a new tea towel. With just a bit more practise with the tension on the machine and I will get going on the new curtains for our caravan. Then matching cushion covers, more tea towels and a tablecloth. There are no boundaries to my imagination!



   I wonder what the woman who owned this in the 1890s when it was new would make of the things I am making now. I am sure she would be delighted it is being used all these years later. I have polished the wooden case until it shines. Now I have got it working I feel it is very important that while I am it's owner, I take the best care of it I can, as we are only really temporary custodians of possessions in life that have come our way.
 Tom was another late shift, so I had a chat with my eldest daughter on the phone as she had been over to see my Dad today and then settled down to listen to some music while I sorted through my piles of fabrics. Tom and I nearly always listen to music on a saturday night but he's not really a David Cassidy fan so I thought I may as well make the most of an evening on my own and work my way through some of my old LPs.
  So for all you David Cassidy fans out there here's a little reminder from the early 1970s. Have a great Sunday what ever you are doing. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...