Friday 24 June 2016

What To Do About The Lack Of Eggs

   For years we have had a constant supply of eggs. With lots of ducks, hens and quail a lunchtime omlette is quite a routine for us. For the first time the fridge is empty of eggs. After we had to rehome the runner ducks our egg laying birds have diminished. we only have Scoot the duck and her egg laying season has just come to an end, Felicity the rescue battery hen who we have had for over three years and hasn't laid an egg since last year and Molly the Bantam who has decided to go broody. I haven't bought eggs for over ten years and I really can't bring myself to start. I have to decide what plan of action to take. I fancy some new big hens but we are worried they may pick on little Molly. We could buy a few more bantams. The trouble is young bantams probably won't lay until next year The other day we went to our local farm to buy some chicken food and had a look at the young pullets they have for sale. They certainly are very pretty.

Hens At Our Local Farm

Hens At Our Local Farm

Hens At Our Local Farm

    I have to make a decision soon before the lack of protein in my vegetarian diet makes me ill! Oh dear I'm so indecisive. I will make the decision in the next week and share the photos of our new additions.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...