Tuesday 16 January 2018

The Puppy Dilemma

    I know a lot of the country has had snow today but it was a lovely bright sunny morning here although I noticed the barometer was quite low which I tried to ignore. I had to dash around before I left for my Mum and Dad's house but it always seems a bit easier when the sun is shining. My sister and I went together today as neither my Mum or Dad are feeling very well. After we had made my Dad some lunch, nothing for my Mum as sadly she is on a liquid diet now, we settled at the kitchen table with old boxes of photos whilst they both had a sleep. We are trying to sort them out and get them in some sort of order. We thought it may help my Dad's memory if we could scan them and get him to try and remember were they were taken and when. It's worth a try we thought.
   After a run round the shops for them (in the pouring rain, I knew the barometer never lies!) I left for home later than usual and it was gone six by the time I got in. My youngest daughter and her boyfriend were telling me how down our little Yorkshire Terrier Cassie has been.
   One of the saddest things that happened to us last November was our old beagle Poppy dying. She was nearly 15 so I know she was a good age for a beagle but we miss her terribly. She was deaf in the last few years of her life but her face would always light up and her tail wag when you stood in front of her. She died two days before I went into hospital and the night of my operation I kept thinking of her and felt like bursting into tears. The only thing that stopped me was if the nurse asked me what was wrong and I replied "I miss my dog" they would have thought I was mad!

Poppy Jan 2003 - Nov 2017


     We all miss her so much but Cassie has taken it the hardest. I didn't really realise that a dog could be depressed but she is showing all the signs of it. We have always had three dogs and it had worked perfectly. Our Border Collie Bud thinks he is a person so he virtually ignores other dogs and Poppy and Cassie would always be together, They would sit cuddled up together all the time. When Cassie was a puppy Poppy would fuss about her licking her like she was her puppy and when Poppy became old and frail it was the other way around and Cassie looked after her. Now Cassie seems bereft she is off her food and sits staring into space, it is so sad. The only time she brightens up is when we are in the park but we can't live there! We had thought of getting another puppy in the spring but I am scared it may backfire and we will make the problem worse. 


It is a dilemma. Does anyone else have any experience of a depressed dog?


  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...