Monday 1 February 2021

Basic Meals And The First Stirrings Of Spring

 Tom and I have been watching the old TV series  Minder on Britbox. We decided to watch it as a compromise. I wanted to watch Lark Rise To Candleford which I used to enjoy and Tom wanted to watch Minder. We agreed to watch an episode alternately to keep us both happy. I used to like Minder years ago but felt it would seem really dated now. Well it is, but I am surprised how much I have been enjoying it. The first series was filmed in 1979 and it could be the olden days! All around London, the places we know, with barely a car on the road. The accents have completely changed too, it happens so gradually you aren't aware of it while it's happening. We loved watching it when we were first going out together and it led us to a have really nostalgic conversation about things from those days we miss. One of the main things Tom decided was really simple little meals. Over the years meals have changed so much too.

When we were first married Tom's favourites were rissoles or bubble and squeak. I learned to make them in Home Economics lessons at school and they were so cheap and easy to make. We promised ourselves we would have these each week again starting yesterday with bubble and squeak for our lunch. I'd saved some mash and vegetables from the previous evening and it was an absolute treat. I used to eat meat back in the 1980s but haven't done for a long time so I'll have to adapt the rissole recipe when I make them but the bubble and squeak was a real trip down memory lane.

Bubble And Squeak For Lunch

In the afternoon I re-potted some poppy seedlings I have grown from seeds that I collected from my Dad's garden last autumn. I have grown lots of seeds I collected in the greenhouse but I was worried these were starting to look a bit sickly. So I brought them inside and put them in larger pots. Perennial poppies are quite expensive to buy so I'm hoping as many survive as possible. I thought  of ordering a UV light to give them a boost. When I told my eldest daughter she said "You'll get the police raiding your house, they'll think you're growing cannabis! " I don't know, a police suspicious mind! 

Perennial Poppy Seedlings

I also got my tax return submitted yesterday (why do I always leave it until the last minute!) so that's that out of the way for another year. Onward into a new month, one closer to everything finally getting back to some normality. Apparently the 1st February is the Gaelic feast of Imbloc. This day is mid way between the winter solstice and the spring equinox and traditionally marks the first stirrings of spring and the worst being behind us. It is a time for purification and spring cleaning in anticipation of the year's new life. If ever we needed the first stirrings of spring and the feeling the worst is behind us. it was this year!  I hope everyone has a lovely day however you are spending it. xx


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...